Don’t you guys still like eating your vegetables even though you already know vegetable facts for kids? Don’t be too sure just yet as this reading will shed light on some incredible facts. So, stay tuned!
Vegetable Facts for Kids that You Need to Know!
Vegetables are interesting to study because of their various shapes, colors, and sizes. Some vegetables grow above the ground and some come from the ground or roots. Vegetables that come from the roots of these plants are called tubers. You can see examples like turnips, carrots, potatoes, and beets.
Meanwhile, the vegetables used from plants include the food of the cartoon main character Popeye the Sailor, spinach; broccoli, cabbage, and kale. Some vegetables are still misunderstood because they are actually fruits. Tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, green beans, although they are not as sweet as fruit, they are basically fruit. Let’s look at other interesting facts!
- Most vegetables are grown in areas with warm weather. But radishes, carrots, lettuce, and spinach can also be grown in cold weather.
- For the vegetables that we usually eat the leaves can actually develop to flower and have seeds.
- Vegetables are grown and grown from seed.
- Broccoli is an example of a vegetable that is actually a baby flower that has not yet bloomed. When it blooms, it will taste bitter.
- Every part of the plant that we eat as a vegetable, is usually not part of the plant that produces seeds. Because whole grains are included in the category of cereals, nuts, or beans.
- Even in the culinary world, several types of fruit are considered a category of vegetables. For example, as we mentioned earlier, namely tomatoes, pumpkins, and cucumbers which are botanicals of fruit.
- In the culinary world, vegetables are all kinds of plants or plant parts that have a taste other than sweet.
- A vegetable is a type of food that must be present in the human diet. This is because they contain lots of fiber, minerals, and vitamins and are low in carbohydrates and fat.
- Some vegetables are the main menu of the diet because they can reduce carbohydrate and fat intake in the body.
- Vegetables that are included in the tuber category are divided into several types. Among them are root and stem tubers. Root tubers grow underground, while stem tubers grow above the soil surface.
- Vegetables that fall into the true vegetable category include celery, garlic, onions, carrots, and potatoes.
- The first hunters in the world to find vegetables in the wild are dated to 10,000 BC and 7,000 BC.
- Some vegetables can be eaten raw such as salads or side dishes, fermented to be pickled, steamed, sautéed, fried, roasted, and boiled.
- In 2019, FAOSTAT noted that the most widely produced vegetable worldwide is potatoes. It is recorded that more than 405 million tons of potatoes are produced throughout the world.
- The largest vegetable producing country in the world is China. The community also uses vegetables throughout their diet every day.
Things to Think About
Even if the potato is a true vegetable, don’t get it wrong! If you like to eat french fries made by fast-food restaurants, it doesn’t mean you have eaten vegetables properly. You still need fresh vegetables that are processed through a healthy process, not contains a lot of oil and fat, and hygienic surely. You have to know that there are a lot of delicious vegetables that will suit your tastebud! After reading the vegetable facts for kids, you can invite your mom to cook vegetables together according to your taste to make it more fun and excited to eat!